11 October marks the International Day of the Girl Child, designated as such by the United Nations General Assembly in December 2011. Last year, the Day was inaugurated under the theme of Ending Child Marriage. This year, the theme for the Day is “Innovating for Girls’ Education”. Girls’ Globe will be in New York covering events taking place on 11 October, so stay tuned for blogs, photos and video, and remember to follow us on social media!
Will you celebrate the day? Are there events taking place in your home country and city? Let us know how you are joining the global movement to celebrate the power and potential of Girls!
Watch this great and inspirational video done by Discovery Digital and Jason Silva for his web series, Shots of Awe, in collaboration with UNICEF:
Stakeholders such as UNICEF, Plan International, UN Women, Intel Foundation, Nike Foundation, UNESCO, Global Education First Initiative and innovators from organizations including girltank, Girls Who Code, Sustainable Health Enterprises, Adolescent Girls Advocacy and Leadership Initiative (AGALI) and others are participating in events organized in New York to celebrate the Day. The Girl Declaration, representing the voices, thoughts, dreams and needs of girls around the world, will be delivered to the United Nations!
What can YOU do?
- Participate in this Thunderclap organized by UNICEF
- Find out what is happening in your community, and take part in events!
- Use the #DayoftheGirl hashtag to share your thoughts through social media, and to raise awareness about girls’ education and girls’ rights
- Blog about girls’ education, or write an OP-ED
- Help to erase discrimination against girls – take part in Plan’s Erase It for Girls-initiative
- Participate in the events organized in New York – see more information below!